Tuesday, February 15, 2011

For the Love of Mushrooms and Family

We didn’t say grace, but we were together. I think my mom decided that was more important. Venison, vegetables, fungi, a bottle of wine and a class assignment brought my parents and their children to the dining room Sunday afternoon. My sister Nicole, my brother Joel and I all brought our significant others as guests. Eight people sat crammed together sitting at various parts of a round glass table, the piece of patio furniture was there in place of a modest wooden table that would have fit our group more comfortably had my mother not given it to my Joel, a proud new homeowner. Three bottles of sparkling grape juice stood elegantly in front of my sister and I, next to the main dish. We would soon fill our glasses greedily with the fine taste of sophistication, competing for maximum consumption, a tradition that goes back to the first New Year’s Eve celebration I can remember. When my decision to make my perfect meal solidified on a variation of Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon I knew my dad would enjoy it as much as I would because of all the mushrooms. I was nervous about the assignment until I made a phone call.

I’d been sick for what seemed like an age, but dramatics aside, it had actually only been a few days. Regardless, I wasn’t in the mood to do much of anything, period. But it was imperative that my mission be completed regardless of how I was feeling. I had been sent on a quest to make the perfect meal. To begin with, I knew I would need a cohort—I called my mother.

“I’m coming home on Sunday”, I said, “and I want to make dinner for the family. Can you help me?” The next day I got an email with an idea for a recipe.

Hi Baby!

Went looking for some main dish mushroom recipes ... and one of them listed was a variation on Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon (basically, a yummy beef stew) - the variation being that it is EASIER and much less time consuming to make.

Love, Mom

I was ecstatic when I received this message in my inbox. On the phone, I had asked my new partner in cooking to look for recipes with mushrooms as a major ingredient. I was planning on doing the same so we could compare notes, but she beat me to it. I went to food.com and checked out the recipe, which basically meant looking at the pictures. The images were appealing and I decided that Beef Bourguignon sounded splendid—though I’m not sure how it actually sounds, phonetically, that is, because I am not familiar with French pronunciations.

This all happened during the dark ‘middle-week’ when I came back from class and slept until morning between fits of coughing and cold sweats. By Thursday I had another favor to ask. In my darkened sick room I picked up my dorm phone and hoped my mother wouldn’t mind collecting the ingredients for me. She knows I’m on a budget as well as on a figurative death bed, in the throes of the flu, so she gladly accepted my plea. But before hanging up we ran through the guest list. My parents, along with Nicole and her inseparable boyfriend, Brandon, would be there for sure as well as myself and my boyfriend, Aaron, we’re quite inseparable ourselves sometimes. The big question was, “Should I invite Joel”? Only you if I wanted to, my mother replied. With trepidation I decided he and his girlfriend Tieren were invited as long as he truly wanted to attend. One of the most memorable moments I can convey to describe my trepidation goes back farther than my memory but it’s caught on tape!

Joel and I are on the back porch of our house, it’s the same back porch that’s snowy and wet today but in the home video the summertime sunshine has us in our bathing suits playing around a tub of water where a single dirty wash cloth calls to us both. I reach into the water grasping for the gray ball of fun and filth while Joel does the same. He beats me to it. Holding the cloth triumphantly in one hand and a rusty sprinkler that looks an awful lot like a dagger in the other, I stand defeated. I give it one more try but as soon as I make my move Joel shouts, “No!”, and in a terrible moment of suspense you watch helplessly as Joel winds up his arms to strike. The scene ends with a comedic slap to my face with the wash cloth. There’s a fine line that floats somewhere between siblings and rivalry for Joel and I.

Sunday came too quickly. I had barely gotten to sleep before the sun was streaming through the windows of my dorm room. My mom inadvertently gave me a wake up call. She rang around 9:30; I let her leave a voice mail, my alarm was set for 10, she asked me to pick up a final ingredient, pearl onions. I wasn’t sure where to get pearl onions but after stopping at a local grocery, Meijer, I was set.

The chopping and the slicing commenced as soon as I walked through the door—we were on a time line. My mother recently began picking up shifts at the local gas station, Lawson Oil Co., it’s because my Kalamazoo College tuition didn’t get easier to pay when I started my sophomore year. Her shift started at five and the pearl onions caused me to arrive at 12:30. I love my mom. We’ve had our rough patches and shared regrettable words but it’s not unfortunate that the school I chose to attend is only 20 minutes away from my hometown, Lawton, Michigan. I still call her every week and I cry to her on the phone when I’m fighting with my roommates or dealing with my most recent life crisis. I’m only 19 but she offers me a glass wine, I know this means she trusts me. My mother is a strong Christian. I don’t talk to her about everything but sometime around my senior year of high school, when she was about to lose me to my inevitable future, I noticed that even though she hated my lack of church attendance and my strong interest in boys, among other things, our bond as people and as mother and daughter was stronger than religious pressures. 

After putting the final touches on the stew my mother slid the large pot to the back of the oven. We were halfway there so when I sat down in the living room to relax my dad wielded the remote as usual, and chose an interesting show to pass the time. During the hour and a half it took to cook the meal my dad and I watched an old 1973 movie, “Don’t Look Now”. The surprise ending coincided perfectly with the climax of delicious aromas wafting out of the kitchen. When the gnome-like creature with the red cape chopped at John Baxter’s neck ending the film, I was smiling. My dad’s idiosyncrasies used to receive a different reaction but these days I’ve come to appreciate his antics. When he talks to me about his good old days or his most recent leftist political opinions for a straight hour unprovoked by any particular interest it cracks me up.

Joel and Tieren arrived during the psychic thriller and Aaron arrived shortly after. Brandon had been at the house all-day—inseparable. We all sat down to the table, several of us straddling a leg. The bread and noodles had been cooked by my mother and the honey was out, to go with the bread—a favorite of my siblings and I, something we all have in common. All the ingredients came from our small town grocery store, Wagoner’s. I am almost certain that there is no local food to be found at the establishment but one piece of our meal I am proud to say, came from the wild outdoors. The beef in our recipe had been replaced with the venison killed and processed by one of my dad’s old work. Every year he gives our family a generous portion. The mushrooms and the venison together gave the meal a gamey flavor that no one complained about. There were some mushroom haters but I didn’t mind that since they left more for me.

My mom rushed off to work and my dog Piper got a walk in the fading sunshine from me and Aaron. The stew and at a least a half a bottle of red juice filled my stomach to the brim long after Aaron drove his borrowed car back to school. I would leave tomorrow morning, me and my Toyota Camry weren’t in a hurry. That night Joel took off without a goodbye, Nicole and Brandon ran upstairs to hide together in solitude, I remember that need. My dad and I watched the TV together a while longer, the living room was where I wanted to be.

12 comments:

  1. Elaine,
    Great job!! I really enjoyed reading your piece. I think you did a nice job of incorporating a multitude of characters into your story and giving us background about many of them. I thought that you did a wonderful job of setting up your relationship with your mom in this piece, and was so glad you added a photo! One thing I would have liked to know is the ages of your siblings. You mention that your brother is older, but I never really got a sense of your sister's age. Also, I was a little confused with your relationship with your brother. Why exactly were you hesitant to invite him to the dinner?
    I loved your description of the meal itself. From the deciding on what to cook, to the grocery shopping, to the actual cooking, and finally the eating, you gave us a play by play that was detail rich and easy to follow.
    Great first draft, Elaine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, this was quite enjoyable to read. I agree with Alaina in that you introduced and effectively characterized so many people in a relatively un-confusing manner. (I, too, wondered about your sister's age, though. That would be helpful to include.) I like that you made the meal your own by substituting venison for beef, and the way in which that made sense for your family. The piece felt full and homey, just as it was I'm sure, with all those loved-ones gathered together to share this meal with you.

    The portion about your mother's religious beliefs seemed slightly out of place, though I appreciated your efforts to characterize her more fully. Now that I think of it, it's very interesting that you chose to cook a meal that not only you had never cooked before, but by the sounds of it, was new to your 'partner in cooking' as well.

    Your details and description of your sickness were good--they added a slight anxiety and discomfort (which it is evident you were feeling as well). Because this caused you to ask your mother's help in buying ingredients, perhaps you could describe whether or not this changed the quality or source of the ingredients purchased. I also realize now that we weren't given much detail as to what does constitute beef bourguignon. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but you could give it some thought.

    There were a few times where I was confused on the sentence level, but I think this is just due to missing words and comma placements, which you can find in editing. Great work, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! I enjoyed the humor you added at the beginning with your descriptions of being sick. And that line about not knowing how to pronounce beef bourguignon made me laugh out loud because I had no idea how to say it either.
    The descriptions of your family were really well done. We got a good sense of the relationship between you and both your parents.
    I was a little confused about the relationship between you and Joel though. I feel like there is more tension between you two than just a slap in the face with a wet rag. I'm definitely curious about you guys!
    I figured your sister must be younger when she ran upstairs to find solitude with her boyfriend and you said, "I remember that need." But you may want to make it clear somewhere else.
    I was surprised we didn't see more of Aaron. He's such a character! Or was he being on his best behavior around your folks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this! There are so many characters, and you don't go into too little or too much depth with them. We get a sense of what everyone is like in a short amount of time, great job! I also really liked how you included the actual email from your mom, you could have easily just said that she made a suggestion but the email characterizes your mom and it's also an interaction (I found it hard to incorporate interactions in my piece).
    One thing that I wanted more of was everyone's reaction -- there were so many people eating your meal, did everyone like it? You really get across a homey, comfortable feeling, as Gabriella said, and it works so well. Great work on this Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine

    Nice job! I agree you’ve done an excellent job of creating a homey atmosphere in your piece, and your voice really comes through. I like that you start with a description of the final meal. You set the scene beautifully—however, I would like to know what place (city) you are in. Maybe you could experiment with breaking up the chronology in the rest of your piece?

    I was a little confused about your relationship with Joel. Why were you afraid to invite him? Is there a big age gap between you two? The home video scene is great—but can you go more into this relationship or why there might be tension here? Maybe even just an extra sentence of explanation would suffice.

    I liked the snapshot you gave us of your dad—though brief, it was really effective. I also think you’ve done a good job of explaining your relationship with your mom—but can you maybe shore more instead of tell in some places. In the paragraph fourth paragraph from the bottom, for instance, could you maybe show how your mother is a “good Christian” rather than just telling us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so neat! You had a bunch of people at your dinner which is really cool. I was a little confused, as Julia points out, about your relationship with Joel. You don't bring up this "trepidation" until after you mention him the first time...so I'm wondering if there's something else going on here. You even give a story about you and him later, so it seems like he's an important character that you mention him a lot.

    There was also a pretty abrupt transition after the anecdote you tell about him from your childhood. You tell us this story and then you're back to your dorm room. And then again when you say that you walk into your house and immediately you begin chopping; is this true? Or are you trying to convey the sense that you were in a rush?

    I think you can start a new paragraph when you say, "I love my mom." I'm trying to figure out what the bigger picture here is...I'm not sure if you want to focus on your mom, because you have so many other people in this story. To me, this feels like a story about family, but maybe your family isn't so "perfect"? When you say that Joel left without saying bye...is that significant? Does this somehow mirror the meal, where you had leftovers because some people didn't like mushrooms or the gamey taste?

    So is your perfect meal really about the food? You don't have to explicitly say this, but I think you can hint at it more because I had a hard time figuring out what the underlying message was. In the end, everybody just leaves and goes their separate directions and you're left with your dad, who doesn't seem to be as important a "character" as Joel or your mom. I just wonder if there's a bigger theme going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sense of character and family! I really liked the way you balanced all the different people in your story. I thought you also did a good job establishing place; the kitchen, the living room, upstairs.

    Like others have said, I would have liked more specifics about your siblings, ages especially. I would also have liked to see some physical details about the characters. Especially your parents. They seem like the base of the story and we have the picture of your mom, but I'd like to see you sitting in the living room with your dad at the end of the story instead of you telling us that you were there.

    I agree with others that I"m not sure what the theme you're getting at is. Is it family? Is it working together to create a meal with your loved ones? This seems to be a common point of clarification with most peoples' pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. Going against the grain: I loved your family and the characters-- but I wanted an even better sense of them. -maybe section of specifics about why you chose to do your meal here--with them, etc? I like that you tried to move around in time, and I think doing even a little bit more of that might be a way to include more family background? Or maybe ground us in "home"?

    I also think that there are a lot of little spots were you tell us something interesting and then stop. I want more little details. (Especially the not-saying-goodbye part?)

    I enjoyed reading this a lot, Elaine. I think you have a lot of good potential directions you can go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how you start "towards the end" when you're all already sitting at the table, it's a nice way to wrap up the purpose of the piece and grab ahold of the reader's interest. I also like that some of the more "high context" stuff like the rivalry with your brother is explained in the form of an anecdote rather than an explanation.

    I guess some more "post meal" reflection for the ending could help make the piece stronger and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have done a great job of not only bringing your family into your piece but also managing to make them seem very real. you've characterized them very well, and it's easy for a reader to get an impression of your feelings towards your family, and about them through this piece. Also, this whole piece flows nicely.

    Perhaps the only thing i would change is to add in a little more description of the food. it sounds like such an amazing meal and dish, i found i was wanting to hear more about it by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elaine,

    Oh my goodness, you took the thought out of my head and put it on the page perfectly. How the heck do you even pronounce what you cooked!? That would have terrified me enough not to try it, but kudos to you for making it happen! :)

    The email from your mom was adorable, I’m glad you included it. The description of your “new” dining room table was fun as well.

    The way you talk about your Mom and Dad is really nice Elaine, I can tell throughout the piece that they mean so so much to you. I do believe that you could trim out a few details still giving this effect though if you need help cutting down the length. Also, as charming as your memory of Joel and you racing for the towel is, I would also consider either shortening this or cutting it. You could probably opt for a quicker example of sibling rivalry, or again leave this out. (I’m sure many of us know the woes of having siblings!)

    All in all, great start girlfriend! Very charming and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As everyone else said, I really felt like I got to know most of the members of your family (and their significant others). The picture of your table was cute, it was good to put faces to names.
    My only big suggestion is to work on your transitions, a couple times I would be reading and lose track of where I was in the story or how I got there. I also wish that you had included some hyperlinks, especially for the recipe on food.com, I wanted to look at the pictures, too!
    You gloss over local food in your grocery store, but you don't give the reader any of your feelings on it, and if I hadn't been present for the workshop on Tuesday I wouldn't know why you were even bringing it up.
    Fun read, Elaine, can't wait for the second draft!

    ReplyDelete