Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fettuccine Alfredo VS. Raw Eggs--Memoir

Before
People are the common denominator of any meal for me and also the best predictor of the success of a meal. Before my junior formal in the winter of 2007, Fazoli’s had always been a good food experience for me, the few times I’d dined there anyway. My family had occasionally frequented the joint and my usual was the Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo. It’s a creamy dish that is fun to eat. I liked the flat noodles and, of course, the unlimited bread sticks that taste like a fluffy butter and garlic combination on a soft stick reminiscent of bread that melts in your mouth. One day my grandmother took me there after a shopping trip we’d taken to buy clothes for my birthday.

We both ordered the Alfredo, I knew better than to request the adult size and opted instead for the child’s portion—my grandma didn’t know better and so she ended up with leftovers that are about two rungs up from McDonald’s leftovers on the ladder of comparison. That day I had ordered, for the first time, their new frozen lemon drink. I drank it slowly in order to savor each sip. It was a good day in a decent and satisfying restaurant. But my feelings toward Fazoli’s would soon change.

Winter formal was coming up and I didn’t have a prospective date. It was my first year at Mattawan High School and I definitely could scrounge up a few crushes but there wasn’t anyone that I was particularly interested or close to. I wasn’t really worried about it, I thought I would probably just skip because I planned on attending my old high school’s formal the weekend after either way. But, to my excitement, Mike Reiter a goofy looking, but still moderately cute boy from my English class walked up to my locker about two weeks before the event and asked if I’d like to go with him. I said yes.

I shouldn’t have said yes. I should have found a group of girl friends to go with or hell I could have gone by myself or really, I didn’t have to go at all. That’s how bad it was. To be honest I think I nudged him into asking because I knew he took an interest in me and I wanted a date. But he wasn't all that attractive and he wasn't a terribly interesting person to talk with mostly because we had little to nothing in common. But I said yes so I figured, ‘I’ll get the dress and he’ll make the reservations and it’ll be a semi-successful night’.

He didn’t make reservations! And, expecting him to do the honors, neither did I. He picked me up at my house the night of formal. The roads were horrible that night—really slick and snowy white visibility. We had to drive slowly even though he brought a four wheel drive big black something or other and we unfortunately ran out of talking points before we were even half-way into town. His plan was to tag onto another groups’ reservations at Carraba’s and it didn’t work. We were on Westnedge and our non-reservation options were Applebee’s, Bilbo’s, and Fazoli’s. I opted for Fazoli’s because I knew what I liked, I knew what to expect and it was the closest and fastest. I wanted to get to the dance before we absolutely ran out of talking points.

We were seating immediately which wasn’t surprising considering we were the only customers. I ordered my usual. I don’t recall what Mike ordered. He talked about the golf team (I have zero interest in golf) and we quickly degenerated into conversation about class assignments in English. It was terrible. And consequently so was the food. Fazoli’s isn’t gourmet food but still, it was delicious before and that night I choked it down while the scrawny, brown-eyed, dirty blonde in front of me struggled to form the simplest of conversation.

The noodles went cold faster than they ever had before. The Alfredo sauce was flavorless and even the break sticks held no appeal. Case and point: it wouldn’t have mattered one bit if my Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo had been prepared by a famous chef that night, I would have hated it either way. The quality of the company who surrounds has the biggest effect on the overall quality of my meal. When we arrived at the dance I ditched, I don’t think he was too surprised. 

One of my earliest food memories actually didn’t even end in eating but it is fondly remembered. I was at my best friend Abbi’s house in the middle of July and we wanted to cook something. We weren’t particularly hungry; her parents always fed us well. But a large part of our adventures included doing what we weren’t supposed to do. So we devised a plan to sneak two eggs out of her kitchen and then proceed to cook them outside on a large rock on the edge of her yard. To do this we had to sneak past the her dad her was lounging in the living room right of the dining room that flowed directly into the kitchen and then walk out the door that lead to our rock unsuspected in plain view of the living room lounge chair.

After shakily grabbing the eggs I hid them in fists and walked on the far side of dining room trying to keep a steady calm pace. It was my job to do the dirty work because we figured I we wouldn’t get in as much trouble if we were caught as long as the guest (me) was the one with the red paint on her hands. Heart beating rapidly, I made it outside undetected and I ran down to our makeshift skillet excited to crack open our mid-afternoon lunch. We each cracked one of the eggs and waited expectantly for the food to cook. It didn’t cook. Later on in life I wondered what would have happened if we had used a magnifying glass but I haven’t tried it yet. That ‘meal’ was one of the most exhilarating meals of my life and I would trade that day and that summertime flavor that tastes like childhood and sweat over the taste of the Fazoli’s debacle every time.

13 comments:

  1. hahaha pal I remember these things very well, you've been subjected to so many awkward date situations that you could do a blog about that alone! lol, remember junior year when you went out with you-know-who from creative writing? Anyway though, I really enjoy your blog and how you talk about food in reference to life. I look forward to a blog about chicken nuggets and fries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine,
    Poor Mike Rieter! I feel so bad for him after reading this piece! Aside from that, I thought your memoir rough draft was really well written. I think you did a good job of establishing the pre-Mike Rieter fazoli's experience and the post-Mike Rieter fazoli's experience while analyzing the "company" factor in each instance. I think you did a good job making the experience come to life for your readers. I could almost feel the awkward, embarrassment of having absolutely nothing to say to your date, and could sympathize with you when you decided to ditch him when you arrived at winter formal.
    Furthermore, I thought you did a great job re-creating each meal, both the one with your grandma and the one with your date. Although you ordered the same thing in both instances, it's interesting to see how different the appeal (or lack thereof) was depending on the company. And although fazoli's is a restaurant that I myself am familiar with, I enjoyed your descriptions of the pasta, lemon slushie, and buttery breadsticks. They brought back memories of the times I went to fazoli's as a kid.
    There are a few things that I think you should think about, however, when preparing your final draft of this piece. For me, the transition into the earliest food memory was sort of abrupt. Your piece up to this point was about how important company was when eating a meal, and then here you switch gears to talk about your first exhilarating food memory. I think it's fine to incorporate that aspect, but I would maybe hightlight the company in this piece a little more.
    Also, there were a few typo errors so you may want to re-read your piece. Overall great job!! I really liked this piece, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How terrible! Sounds like a boring dude. I think you meant "he WASN'T a terribly interesting person to talk with." And I'm just curious--how is Chicken Alfredo "fun to eat"?

    You really get across how important company is to your food experience. However, there's a total disconnect between the winter Formal story and the egg story--I see what you're trying to do here, but is there a way to do it without jerking the reading so abruptly out of the first story and into an entirely different one?

    I really like your voice in this memoir. A few sentences could be tightened up (i.e. get rid of excess/repeating words) and made clearer. Good job on the first draft, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Elaine!

    This is so hilarious from the every-first-date perspective of reading it. Dances can be such a classically painful thing, and I think it's a fantastically tangible subject for memoir.

    I also liked the before/after and wondered like Alaina about the placement of raw eggs. I thought they might work well up higher in the piece... as a part of your introduction, if you wanted to leave them in?

    Other things I really loved? Fun flat noodles... your food description. I wanted more of that throughout the memoir! Which maybe is a good thing, to leave the reader wanting more of that, if you're trying to put that extra emphasis on how food is secondary in memory. It does something interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elaine, I feel like I know much more about you after reading this piece. There were several moments which had me laughing out loud. I am the type of person who is completely horrified by awkward situations such as the one you described, oftentimes causing myself to over-think and become unnecessarily anxious. It's fascinating to me that Fazoli's chicken fettuccine alfredo would lure you in over Bilbo's pizza, but we all have our preferences!

    I agree with the other readers when they voice a concern over the abrupt change in story. The egg story underscores your theme of company over food, and I think perhaps the egg story could be cut down and better incorporated elsewhere. Though the theme is explicitly stated a few times, it is sometimes lost at points throughout the story.

    In editing, make sure to read carefully for typos and other minute errors. This piece has a lot of potential, and with a bit of work, I believe it can be excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have been to close to Mark's awkwardness in my high school tears. Ouch. Anyways, I like the overall feel of the story, the anecdotal style reads easily and well; it's like you're talking to us.
    To repeat what others have said, a smoother transition between the first and second parts of the story would help the reader flow between the memories better.
    I'd like to see more description in a general sense. Adding some vivid description to some of the scenes (snow swirling on the road, you slurping up the noodles with a wet schlorp sound etc.) will bring your story to life. Maybe work some vivid images into both sections of the story too. if you use some similar word choice or imagery in both sections that could help to tie the two together more. So far it looks like the only common ground between the two is the effect of people on the meal you're eating. I'm not sure what exactly you could do but I'm sure you'll think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The premise of the story itself is quite engaging: how a usually good meal can be ruined by an awful date. The way you get this point across right off the bat in the second sentence without giving too much away is a good narrative device, it keeps the reader engaged.

    I do think the story would be much more powerful if you stuck to the one plot about your date, the final part seems to drift off a little too much from the main point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elaine -- this a great start! This actually reminds me of Bourdain's book, specifically his point that experience and mood really make the meal what it is. I agree with Kelsey -- more food description would really add a lot to the piece. I've never been to or seen Fazoli's, so maybe even more description of Fazoli's - the inside of the restaurant, what the environment was like - would help too!
    I thought your ending tied everything together really nicely. I'm having trouble deciding how to close mine, and ended up just stopping abruptly at a random moment...so I appreciated your concise statement of the theme at the end. I agree with other comments on the possible addition of a smoother transition from one story to the next. You've got two wonderful, genuine experiences that can connect to each other, and I think you're off to a great start with this draft!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bad weather, a lame car, incapable of making plans, and poor conversation? What a terrible date, that all sounds like such a drag! All these things added together made this really funny to read.
    You did a great job of describing the Fazoli food. I'm now craving bread sticks. Describing the exact same meal in totally different ways, one with your grandmother and one with your date, was the perfect way to support your theme that good company makes good food.
    One thing you may want to consider revising is the section where you say, "Case and point: it wouldn’t have mattered one bit if my Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo had been prepared by a famous chef that night, I would have hated it either way. The quality of the company who surrounds has the biggest effect on the overall quality of my meal." I think it was unnecessary to tell the reader what your theme is. You already did a great job of showing this to us in the difference between your Fizoli experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the way to combine the idea of both food memory and memory of who you ate the meal with, because that does make a difference, as you proved. Eh, and that's why i skipped most of the school dances. XD at any rate, this is a well written piece, and i like how it flows. might add just a little more description of the meals, but otherwise it's quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elaine,

    I laughed out loud! I hope poor Mike never reads this! I definitely like the idea that the quality of a meal has to do with the company you eat it with. I almost completely agree. A bad meal with good company many times trumps a fantastic meal with bad company. I must say, Fazoli’s probably never will leave anyone completely satisfied, but when I was little I dragged my family there EVERY Sunday after church. (They were thrilled when I discovered how much better the Olive Garden was!)

    I would go back and re-read to weed out some simple fixes. I would also suggest looking into some different words to describe some of the things you reference more than once. An example might be changing talking points to topics of conversation, something to that extent.

    My other suggestion would be to either get rid of the final two paragraphs or to lead into them better. I felt that they were somewhat unnecessary or deviated from your main focus.

    Other than that, great job! I hope all future dances were much smoother. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I shouldn’t have said yes." Ha! I laughed out loud. I love the humor in this piece. I wanted to cry for you, too bad this was four years ago. But you really captured my attention with this and provoked an emotional response in me, which is what I think a memoir should do. You do such a good job at capturing everything you feel about this guy and your horrible date. I would even like to hear more about this guy! I agree with Kelsey--it's even more hilarious when you put yourself into it and think of it as an awkward first date situation. The reason your piece stands out to me is because you fill it with a lot of story--which I like. You tie it really well together with your anecdote about Fazioli's in the beginning. I thought the majority of your piece flows really well. The only point of criticism I would add is at the end when you bring up this final story. I think the transition could be smoother after the previous paragraph ends with "The quality of the company who surrounds me..." The beginning of that next paragraph starts with you mencioning your earliest memory of food, and you later talk about this best friend of yours, but I think you should introduce the ending story more explicitly as the sort of experience where the company of your friend made it a fond memory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ewww, ick, ouch, blech. This reminds me so much of my prom date. Is it wrong that I love reading about such awkward encounters? As others have said, you clearly have an theme here, but I think it could be more consistent throughout the piece. Furthermore, it seems like your first sentence is really your "thesis" (do memoirs have theses?); your piece may benefit from a more engaging introduction and then a shift into your theme a little later.
    I can't wait to read your second/final draft!

    ReplyDelete